Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tired, but in all the right places

This part of october was always a big deal growing up because:

Dad's birthday is the 5th
My birthday is the 7th
Grandpa's birthday is the 10th (gotta call him tonight!!)
And the baseball playoffs are always happening now too, which was an important event at my house.

Maybe as a result of this extended octoberfest, i always like to celebrate the hell out of my birthday. Not for me this attitude of 'oh no, i'm another year older, let's pretend it isn't happening!' Fuck that - let's party for like a month. The way i look at it, my birthday celebration starts around rosh hashana, and ends around halloween.

But the actual day always receives a little extra juice, natch, especially when it's on a saturday. So that's what this weekend was pretty much devoted to. Rehearsed on saturday (i love rehearsing/performing on my birthday, by the way - makes me feel like my life is going in an ok direction), then headed to a cool bar on avenue a for happy hour (even the cute bartender bought me a drink!), then to a sushi place down the street, then to see WWIX at bowery poetry club, finally to another bar across the street. Much much fun, I LOVE MY FRIENDS!!! They are the best, and i can't believe how blessed i am to have them in my life. And the day had enough phases that they kind of got to attend in shifts, based on their tastes and schedules. Some of 'em even got to meet the gal i'm spending some time with these days - and as she says: you don't really know a person until you meet his friends.

It was a blast. The only real problem was that i didn't pace myself as well as i could have done, which resulted in some of the predictable negative effects... Ah well, if you can't be hungover the day after your birthday, when can you be?

I'll sleep when i'm dead.

No comments: