Thursday, May 15, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg

I don't really have the time nor the knowledge to write a full tribute to Robert Rauschenberg, who died on Monday, but, especially in light of this morning's entry, I have to put down a few words about this artist who had the staggering ability to see beauty in the commonplace, and share it with us. He was a master of possibility, a portrait of persistence, an inspiration on many levels, and one of the great lovers of life.



In addition to the very good Michale Kimmelman article in the Times, there is an interesting remembrance from Jim Lewis in Slate, which yields a perspective on death that I like quite a bit: "I'm working on my fear of it. And my fear is that after I'm gone, something interesting is going to happen, and I'm going to miss it."

Ummm... yup.

No comments: