Thursday, August 31, 2006

MAGIC 8POD

1) How will things go for Beth & Peter when they move in together? The first song that came up is by the Wondermints, and i don't know the title (it was on a mix someone gave me) but it's kind somber, talks about day to day getting through, there is a chorus that goes "every morning i wake up/ every morning i sigh." Hmmm... let's be cautiously optimistic.

2) How will the dinner party i'm throwing with Alexis go this weekend? Pano Da Costa (Cloth from the Coast) - Kronos Quartet. This is from 'White Man Sleeps' and has no words. Ok, also kinda cryptic. The piece is really good - it does have a certain amount of turbulence, but ends well. Let's go with that.

3) Will the Red Sox get to the World Series? The Diner/The Slant - Ani Difranco. This is from one of the live albums, and starts with her introducing the band, which is like the way they introduce the players at the Series. Yeah, right.

Maybe i should make these a little more personal.

4) Will I have the career of my dreams? Comedy Tonight - The Trotter Trio. Ok, a brilliant instrumental version of a classic sondheim opening number. 'Something familiar, something peculiar/ Something for everyone..." I'll take this.

5) Will I meet someone special soon? Galgenlied, from Pierrot Lunaire - Ensemble Modern. Ohmigod! This is so funny in a totally twisted way i can hardly stand it. Galgenlied means 'gallows song' and it's all about a withered whore with a stringy neck digging her claws into a guy. Seriously. Someone Special, indeed. Thanks a lot, ipod.

6) What do my friends really think of me? Your Love is King - Sade. Now that's more like it.

7) Is anyone thinking of me now? King of Birds - R.E.M. Hmm, back to cryptic here. Pensive, reflective, not sure how to interpret this.

I'll turn it outwards again.

8) Will there be a shift in the balance of Congress this midterm election? Long Train Running - Doobie Brothers. Ha! This is the one with the chorus "Without love, where would you be now?"

9) Will I find true happiness? Hurley - Pinback. It's a happy enough song, with good hooks, about going out in the snow to go sledding. It asks 'how far will i go to protect myself?' And there's a line about catching your skin in the zipper as you seal yourself into winter gear - so i'm taking this as a message to stay open and not close myself off to people or experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Magic 8Pod is brilliant. I'm going to use it myself. Please thank your friend Jessica.