Wednesday, August 30, 2006


No Limit.

Ok, a friend inspired me to start one of these, so here's the first.

The new Dylan cd came out yesterday - i haven't heard it yet, but i'm hoping it's waiting for me in my mailbox. So in the spirit of the moment i named this blog after a dylan song. This song came to me not necessarily because it's my favorite - i'm actually not a fan of favoritism, but it is a GREAT song, and seems somehow appropriate to this drizzly week, a year from hurricane katrina and a different kind of personal shake-up in my life that happened a pretty much the exact same time.

Just the opening:

"My love she speaks like silence
Without ideals or violence
She doesn't have to say she's faithful
Yet she's true, like ice, like fire."

And just to fill it out, here's the final verse:

"The bridge at midnight trembles
The country doctor rambles
Bankers' nieces seek perfection
Expecting all the gifts that wise men bring.
The wind howls like a hammer
The night blows cold and rainy
My love she's like some raven
At my window with a broken wing."

Went to a show last night - "Everything's Turning Into Beautiful" at the Acorn on 42nd St. It's good, you should go. It's by Seth Zvi Rosenfeld with music by Jimmie James. Not a musical though, but a play about musicians, played by Daphne Ruben Vega (the original Mimi in"Rent") and Malik Yoba (who's on New York Undercover, which i have to admit i've never seen). They are songwriting collaborators - he shows up at her apartment in chelsea after 2 a.m. on christmas eve for an 'important' talk laced with sexual/romantic tension. There are songs, good ones, that turn up in the course of the show, but it's not the 'classic american musical' format where the emotions get pitched to a point where the character has to express them in song; the characters share the songs in the context of composing collaborators. It definitely has some sentimental elements, but i think it holds up.

Jessica, who went to the show with me, taught me about 'Magic 8Pod' where you ask a question 'Magic 8 Ball' style and then hit shuffle song on your ipod. That'll probably be the subject of my next entry.

'til then,

"She knows there's no success like failure,
And that failure's no success at all."

No comments: