Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ave Atque Vale Alex

From the Box Tops to Big Star and beyond, Alex Chilton was one of the all time go-to guys for power pop and catchy hooks. [Do click on that link, if only to watch the video of "The Letter," with the Box Tops treating lip-synching like the ridiculous joke it is.] We lost him yesterday to a heart attack, and that's way too sad. 59 years old, in the midst of a Big Star reunion (which he may or may not have actually bothered to show up for) and a(nother) resurgence, complete with re-packaged/mastered discography. I had the great good luck to catch him sitting in with Yo La Tengo a couple years ago: one of my Great Moments in Music. I don't think I have any images of that event, but I'll scour the laptop at home to see for sure. Meanwhile, here's this one from the internets, showing the man we knew and loved.



Also, check out this tribute by Rob Sheffield for Rolling Stone. Beyond the obvious choices like the Replacements and R.E.M., I'd argue that Alex/Big Star had a huge influence on The Feelies, Let's Active, They Might Be Giants and other bands who extend the Chilton influence to an astounding proportion. And I'd wager that if there's an afterlife, Doug Fieger is now toasting with Alex and thanking him for paving the yellow brick road for the Knack. Hopefully, Chris Bell is in on that toast...

Now let me go home and dig up that copy of Like Flies on Sherbert.

No comments: