Sunday, March 28, 2010

More Postmodernism

Palm Sunday - Cory and I went to the gym and now she's at a brunch in Brooklyn with some friends, and I'm left to my own devices. Not a bad thing. Made a brunch of my own, worked on the place a little bit, brought out that print from the West New York Book Arts Collaborative I want to get framed, prepped for an audition, and realized a theory that the world may have been created as a result of the Adagio movement of Brahms' Violin Concerto in D. As I was doing the dishes. It's possible that I've been thinking too much about Godel in the wake of Einstein's birthday. Or that I've been thinking too much about Lost.


I also downloaded my most recent batch of photos from rehearsals for Post Modern Living. And here they are, for your viewing pleasure:

Here's Chris, complete with super-bitchin CBGB baseball shirt, embodying the spirit guide of our central character.


Speaking of whom, here is Richard/Mitch being guided by Chris/Louis through the imponderable mysteries of aging.

Here's Heather, guiding us all through the whole thing.


Another view of Richard and Chris' scene.

And another view of Heather - here she is reading in for Frank, who couldn't make it to this rehearsal. Really like this shot.

See, a good stage manager makes all the difference to a show. Moves things along, keeps people on the ball, solves problems you can't even imagine, oftentimes even before they rear their heads. And in some cases, they even volunteer to take on additional tasks that have nothing to do with the job description - like using a pain-in-the-ass actor's camera to shoot the scenes that said actor needs to be, you know, on stage for. And to shoot gems like this one of your truly - looking, I don't know, darkly annoyed or something.

Here are a couple of the other pics she took:


This one really gives a sense of these rehearsals: the detritus on the Director's/SM's table; the ad hoc furniture; the fluorescent fixtures lending their unnatural glow to the natural light flowing in through the windows; the big old room, full of life and history in all the cracks and creaks.

Note Jenny there on the floor. She's not actually acting in the show (though she is instrumental to the production, gathering props and helping with all manner of on- and off-stage elements), but Briana couldn't be at this rehearsal either, and so she dove right in, floor-lying and all. And her acting was really good too! Very cool - thanks Jenny!


Last but not least, I'm not sure what's going on here - no one appears to be speaking and Cathy is writing in her script, which might indicate that we're getting direction or making an adjustment of some sort - but I do like this shot.

So there it is. That's all for now. I'm listening to Jesus Christ Superstar as I write this, in honor of the holiday. Very excited for the Indian Passover Seder I'm going to with Cory and Kim on Tuesday. We're going to a book release party this afternoon, but will have to leave early to catch some important basketball action, which I am not going to discuss until all is said and done.

Happy Palm Sunday, everybody.

1 comment:

mick said...

Aw, thanks! I'm rather fond of it too.

More to come, including shots of you...