Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Art, Life and Magic 8 Pod

My niece drew me a picture when i was in phoenix: an extended family of flamingos, with a monkey swinging nearby; also a few spiders hanging from... the ceiling? an unseen branch just beyond the edge of the page? some other possibility open to the interpretation of the viewer? It now hangs proudly on my wall, right above the button that buzzes people in the front door of my building.

Sleep deprivation makes for a waking dream state, focus alternately intensified and blurred. Kind of like riding orson welles' tricycle through molasses then suddenly looking down and realizing you're waterskiing and you're not sure you know how to waterski but at this point you don't have much of a choice.

So, magic 8 pod - what's the next step in my career?

Jump Monk by Charles Mingus.

Ok, lots of ambiguity and room for interpretation. Very swingin', really good tune & fantastic band, natch. So i've got that going for me. Which is nice. No words to help us out but the title - a reference to thelonious, of course, one of the best jazz composers/performers of all. Unless it's trying to tell me to go monastic. Or just jump. In an ecstatic, stylin' sort of way, of course

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your description of sleep deprivation fits this week to a T. right now the espresso/seltzer wakeup combo are doing well, and I feel I should put this focus into work, rather than reading my friends' blogs. because I know a blurry period will hit soon. probably even before lunch.

mick said...

Ah, yes: espresso/seltzer - not to be confused with that weird 'blak' product that came out a while ago...