Saturday, March 03, 2007

Picasso in Montclair

Ok, i'm exhausted and invigorated at the same time. Partly that's because i just got back from the gym and am having a smoothie, and partly because after a long and exhausting week, The Picasso Project finally opened last night at luna stage. I'll admit i was kind of scared about it (in fact, one of the reasons i participated was because i was scared), but at this point i'm kind of proud of it. If you're in the mood for an experimental, movement-heavy, highly visual, free-associative theatrical experience, you should come check it out. Does it qualify as 'fine art'? I don't know, and i don't think it's my place to say (that's what critics and connoisseurs are for). But i do think it's a case of attempted fine art, and there's something to be said for that.

I've had my problems with it, natch. Yana's use of time is inscrutable to me (i.e., when she chooses to work on what, and the amount of time she chooses to spend on it), but she clearly knows what she's doing. And she's far from the first director whose process i didn't really understand, and i'm sure she won't be the last. Great to be working with her after all this time. In fact, everyone's involvement has been great, and there's some first-rate work going on, from people with backgrounds in dance, music, circus, acrobatics, music and visual art.

So there you have it.

Meanwhile

Um, right then while i was typing i just got a call that my grandfather has died.

Shit.

I've gotta go.

2 comments:

JAT said...

Mickey, I'm sorry about your grampa. :-(

mick said...

Thanks julie -

Everybody has been really nice about that. I went out to the great white north for the service last week. Just as you wrote your comment, i was writing an entry here about him: funny, huh?